In working with my communications team, I challenged them with the following questions. This was intended to challenge our reality and allow us to begin thinking about how people really perceive us. The truth is that everyone on our communications team are ‘insiders’ of our church which makes it hard to look at things from a different perspective.
But we should try to discover the answers to these questions so that we can more effectively communicate to and reach people around us.
These are the questions:
- What do the people in our community think about our church?
- What do different types of people in our church think about our church?
- What do you want them to think?
- What are you doing right now to change that? or reinforce that?
- What will you have to do to make a real difference in how people see you?
- Why would someone choose to visit our church?
- Who is making the first impression for your church and is that impression the one you want?
These questions prompted a solid 2 hours of discussion with my Communications Team and changed the way we were attempting to communicate to our church and our community.
If we attempt to honestly answer these questions or search out these answers on a continual basis, it will not only change our perception, but will allow us to begin to manage the perception of our church. Have fun discussing these with your key insiders or your Communications Team.