I believe that scripture teaches that we should always be willing and ready to share our faith with those around us. We place such a huge emphasis on people in our churches sharing the gospel. I think this should be a part of not just our ‘church’ culture but a daily emphasis in the life of every believer. We should want to tell others about what a difference He has made in our lives and how He could make a difference in the lives of our friends and family. Imagine what would happen if just half of the believers in the world began to speak out with a passion about what God could do in peoples lives.
But what happens when someone actually does pray and accept Christ as their Savior? What is the plan then? I think we often focus so much on the front end of ‘sharing’ that we often fail to develop a plan for follow up with new believers. We often fail to have a process that links them to discipleship. This is why so many Christians still live ‘as infants in Christ’. The following is a process that we have developed at our church and has been effective in not letting new believers fall through the cracks:
- New believers fill-out communication card, speak to a pastor, tell their small group leader, or come forward during invitation, or we are made aware of a decision from the previous week.
- Assimilation Team enters information into church system.
New Believer Package is mailed out by volunteer team with the following:
- Printed letter from Lead Pastor
- Baptism Invite
- Starting Point Invite (This is a meeting of initial orientation to the church and lets people know how to get connected.)
- Book – ‘Simple’ by Robert J. Morgan
- Free Coffee & New Believer Bible Certificate
- Sermon Collection (baptism, evangelism, discipleship, quiet time)
- Email from lead Pastor to all new believers
Phone call from someone on Assimilation Team.
- Introduce themselves and welcome them to our church.
- Ask if they picked up their free Bible & series.
- Encourage reading the Bible and praying daily.
- Encourage attendance at the next Starting Point (a meeting to get to know our church and how to connect). Try to get confirmation that day.
- Ask if there is any Prayer requests that we could pray with them about.
Once they are on the Starting Point invitation list, they will receive the same follow-up that all Starting Point attendees receive (monthly invitation calls prior to meeting and follow up calls after the meeting to help them find a small group or ministry if they haven’t plugged in to one), in addition to new believer’s follow-up.
Celebrate their first spiritual birthday! Mail a packet including:
- Celebratory Letter
- Book – (spiritual growth book of some type: Purpose Driven Life, Christian Atheist, Forgotten God, etc…)
- Invitation cards
- Phone Call: A pastor will call to check in on each new believer.